Wednesday, March 13, 2013

We love our Kindergarten Reading Buddies!

My class has had the privilege this year to work with Mrs. King's kindergarten class.  Every Thursday afternoon, our classes get together to read with each other.  It has been a great way for the kindergartners to show off their reading skills and has given my class a sense of pride when they know they are helping or teaching their buddy something new. 

When we were finishing up our geometry unit, I challenged my class to create an iPad game using the Tiny Tap app.  Their game had to teach the attributes of polygons.  They knew their target audience would be their kindergarten buddy.  The students worked so hard to find graphics that would be appealing to 5 and 6 year olds.  Talk about knowing your audience!  They were SO excited to finally get to show their buddy their game and help teach them about polygons.

Two weeks ago, Mrs. King asked if my class could teach her class how to use a storytelling app on the iPads.  My students were happy to oblige and enjoyed teaching their buddy all about the Puppet Pal app.  The partners worked together to create their own movies.  I couldn't help but smile as I watched the partners learn together.  It got a little wild and crazy, but there was a lot of learning taking place!  We look forward to seeing the kindergarteners' movies!

Overall, this has been a great experience for my class.  They truly treasure the 30 minutes a week that they spend with their new friends!

Thank you Mrs. King's Class for being our buddies!










No comments:

Post a Comment